Sunday, April 10, 2011

Banded Woolly Bear

This one will have stages and more pictures since it is a caterpillar.  Also, the format may be different too as we try to show the different stages.
These two pictures are not our own.  

Found: April 7, 2011
Common Name:  Banded Woolly Bear Caterpillar
Scientific Name:  Isia isabella

Found again in our backyard, in the grass, in Hampstead, MD.  I brought this one inside, and mom let me keep it.  After Google, we found out that it eats grasses and broad leaves, so I got a fist full of grass and a dandelion leaf.  I put the caterpillar and grass in the habitat my Mimi gave me.  Over night, it made itself a cocoon.


He choose to build his cocoon right up against the door of the habitat, so this was the best picture we could get.  Chrysalis stage started Friday, April 9th.  If it hatches, I will let you know, but here's a preview of the Isabella Tiger Moth that is should become if all goes well!
Clicking this link will take you away from my blog - my info came from:  http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/butterfly/activities/printouts/Woollybear.shtml

2 comments:

  1. I found a cocoon during my spring cleaning outside and put it in a jar with a stick and some grass. It hatched over the weekend and wasn't sure what type of moth it was until I saw your blog. Thanks for helping me identify my Isabella Tiger Moth! It is now flying around Janesville Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete